art by sandra fadayel
SERIES III | SPEAK | تكلم
This artwork features the word “takalam” – meaning “speak” in Arabic, and comes from my collection Heritage III. The collection explores the world of tribal Palestinian jewellery, where amulets were worn for protection, and frequently feature words from prayers or names of angels and prophets. This piece plays with this concept, putting a contemporary spin on it, by using the word SPEAK – a reminder to speak one’s truth in the quest for growth and evolution.
Heritage Series III is a peaceful homage to the beauty and richness of the culture and its people, which is all too often associated only with struggle and conflict. The references to Bedouin Jordanian weavings is a metaphorical concept, alluding to the interweaving of the Jordanian and Palestinian cultures.
This is an original acrylic painting on canvas. All of the pieces in this collection come ready-to-hang. I work on 100% cotton canvas that’s stretched over beautifully chunky 35mm bars, giving a nice deep profile. The edges have been carefully crafted – so you don’t need to worry about framing.
The pieces are designed in such a way that any combination of pieces in this collection works together – really handy if you want to build a series for a gallery wall, or for collectable gifts.
SIZE: 25CM X 25CM
>>>I’m delighted to announce a collaboration with the Welfare Association, a UK registered charity that works to support some of the most marginalised Palestinian families and communities in the West Bank and Gaza and in the refugee camps and gatherings of Lebanon.
I will be donating 30% of sales of all artworks within this collection to The Shirin Fund, a program that assists Palestinian children with special needs who require medical or surgical procedures but whose families are not able to afford the costs of hospitalisation. You can learn more about this fund or donate directly here.
DOES THIS PIECE FIT BEAUTIFULLY IN YOUR SPACE?
Check out my tips here for how to choose the right size artwork for your space. Still unsure? Drop me a line with a photo of your space, and a link to the artwork you like for a (free) before and after image showing the piece in your home.
- Hand embellished prints are a budget-friendly alternative to originals, where artwork is first printed onto high quality, fine art paper, then embellished by hand, giving the look and feel of an original. Also, because the piece is worked on by hand, no two pieces are identical.
- Fine art paper is thick paper with a slight woven texture. It is archival quality and the artwork is printed with the highest quality inks, that do not fade over time.
- Originals are created on canvas using professional grade paints.
- Original artworks are all finished with a matt, UV archival varnish that provides non-yellowing protection against discolouration. All original artworks are signed and dated.
- Every piece of art I create is based on a story, which is included in its description. I keep my collectors posted on work in progress and new pieces through my mailings (sign up here). The story's been cooking for years; the artwork is a snapshot of the story at a certain time. Hands down, the story is what gives value to the art.
- Along with the story, the quality of the artwork is really important for value. I use professional grade art supplies for my originals and only work with reputable, high-quality fine art printers when producing my art prints.
- All of the art prints are printed on archival quality paper (which means it doesn't yellow over time), and archival grade inks.